Check out my other blogs: Life, etc. and Chrisfit



Friday, March 18, 2011

What Does It All Mean?

5 years ago today (almost to the hour) was my first encounter being pulled over by a police officer. I had been spending St Patrick's Day with my girlfriend and her family in Grove City and was driving back to Delaware rather late. I was all alone on the stretch of 23N between Polaris and Orange, until I noticed the red and blue lights in my rear view mirror. I immediately pulled over, put the car in park, turned on my hazards, and sat completely still, terrified of what I could possibly have done and what I'd have to pay. After a minute, in that long, slow saunter that I've come to recognize in traffic stops, the officer finally approached my car. He shone his absurdly bright flashlight into my eyes, causing me to make a horrible face rather than look away and seem somehow guilty of...well, whatever. He asked for my license and insurance which I handed over. "Where are you headed?" he asked. "Home," I said, "I was at my girlfriend's house." "Did you know you were going 55?" he asked. I did, actually. "Isn't the speed limit 55?" I asked, hoping I wasn't crossing some line into insubordination and that he couldn't tase me for that. "It's 45 until Orange Rd," he said. "Oh." I said, I looked forward at the highway in front of me, "Which one is Orange Rd?" He pointed at the traffic light directly in front of us, "That one." "Oh." He handed back my documents, "Have you been drinking?" "No sir," I answered honestly. I wouldn't start drinking until the following year. "Okay, you drive safe," and with that he walked back to his car and drove away. I guess what I'm trying to say with all this is that I'm lonely. I miss my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment