Check out my other blogs: Life, etc. and Chrisfit



Sunday, February 7, 2010

An Open Letter To My Love

To The Love of My Life,

How does one open a letter to an unknown recipient? I had wanted to write “Good evening” because it is currently nighttime as I write this but who knows when you shall read this letter and “good evening” seems rather irreverent in that regard. Simply saying “hello” or “greetings” lacks the familiarity with which I would hope to address you, the woman I love. And so, without a proper opening, I will simply begin. I hope you, my love, will understand.
Tonight I bought you a gift. Her name is Lillian and she is a small, plush bear from Starbucks. I had retreated to this coffee house as a refuge from tonight’s Super Bowl, in order that I might hide myself from time and the reality of the modern world which plagues me so. So to Starbucks I ran and buried myself in a book: Milan Kundera’s masterpiece The Unbearable Lightness of Being. The strange romance of the characters, trapped in their existential dilemmas, somehow put my restless mind at ease. After two hours pouring myself into the novel, I prepared to leave and, as I was packing up my things, saw the bear grinning out at me from a shelf. Silently she called out to me. She told me that she belonged to you and that I must keep her safe until I can deliver her to you.
I don’t know if I know you yet. We may already be friends or perhaps I’ve only met you on one or two short occasions. And perhaps I have not yet met you. Perhaps you are a stranger to me still, and deep down you’re waiting for me to find you. Whether or not I know you, you are out there somewhere for me. Lillian sits here on my desk and she waits for you too. One day I will know you and I will know that you are the love of my life and on that day I shall deliver her to you, a gift whose destiny has connected it from me to you.

With all my love,
Chris

Lillian

2 comments:

  1. Is it possible the bear is casting a skeptical/flirtatious glance on that clown? Can't say I blame her. I feel similarly about clowns

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris this is breautiful. I almost cried. I even read it to anna after I was done because i needed to share it with someone and SHE almost cried.

    Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete